It is now time for the voter to consider their choices for school board in District 2.
Please look at my opponents record.
1. He has a complete lack of transparency. He was heavily involved with the PAC supporting SPLOST IV. Of course did he own up to his involvement? I think his multiple interviews in the media can give the answer to that question.
2. Here is what he said. “Vote for SPLOST IV because it is the only way we can elect all 7 new board members for the school board.” OOPS! Last time I checked you will still have NINE school board members and you are only getting to vote for districts 2, 4, 6, and 8. I believe his TV interview said this would be a “historic” moment. Did he lead you astray about SPLOST IV? It is clear that he did not understand the issues and made false
statements that could have misled you. Here are some links to articles about this issue:
3. He also linked a vote for SPLOST to lower property taxes. The school board just voted to raise your millage rate for school taxes by one mill. Mr. Orson has stated that he supports “revenue enhancements”, like the increased millage rate you will now see on your property tax bill. As you know, I voted against the millage rate increase. I will also be straightforward with you. I’ll call a millage rate increase exactly what it is – a tax increase. I won’t try to confuse the issue by calling a tax a “revenue enhancement”. I’m a teacher, not a lawyer, and you’ll get clarity not spin from me.
4. Over the last five years, Mr. Orson has clearly shown that he has only ONE focus in education. That focus is to make the Fernbank area an enclave that he will protect to the detriment of the rest of the county. He has shown this on several occasions. Look at what he and his campaign manager said about Briar Vista Elementary during redistricting.
” If anyone suggests making Briar Vista a PK-K or PK-1 campus for Fernbank’s children, talk about 1100 students and families with multiple children driving back and forth and back and forth along Clifton Road during the morning rush hour. Enough said.”
Is there something wrong with Briar Vista’s children? Where did 1100 come from? That is almost double Fernbank’s entire population. This clearly shows an “attitude” toward anyone outside the enclave. Here’s an interesting article on what concerned citizens saw and heard during redistricting:
5. Four years ago he opposed the inclusion of neighborhoods in Sagamore Hills from attending Lakeside High School which was two miles away. He wanted these students to attend Druid Hills which was seven miles away. Ask Sagamore parents if they feel like he can represent anything other than the interests of his enclave.
6. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and The Georgia School Board Association (GSBA) clearly state that a school board member is to represent the entire county and NOT just one district with their votes on the board. My opponent has a documented record that shows that he cannot think past the boundaries of his own neighborhood.
I ask everyone to consider what is at stake here. I was a teacher in the classroom for thirty four years. I know how schools work from the inside. My knowledge is practical not theoretical like my opponent. Vote for a teacher not another lawyer.